The Lerner and Rowe Law Group’s criminal defense lawyers know that prosecutors all around the state take homicide cases seriously. Defending against a manslaughter charge calls for a skilled and experienced criminal defense lawyer.
At the Lerner and Rowe Law Group, we understand the complexity of manslaughter cases, and we know how to defend your rights.
What is Manslaughter?
A manslaughter charge can stem from a variety of acts. For example, it may consist of any of the following:
- Recklessly causing the death of another person; or
- Committing what would otherwise be second degree murder, as a result of a sudden quarrel or heat of passion which is in turn the result of being provoked by the victim; or
- Intentionally helping or also, aiding someone to commit suicide; or
- Committing what would otherwise constitute second degree murder involving reckless behavior or an extreme indifference to human life, as the result of coercion through the use or threatened use of deadly physical force upon the defendant or another which a reasonable person would be unable to resist; or
- Knowingly or recklessly causing the death of an unborn child by inflicting physical injury on the mother of the unborn child.
In Arizona, Manslaughter is a class 2 felony. The presumptive sentence for a first time offender is 5 years in prison. However, the full sentencing range includes a super-mitigated sentence of not less than three years to a maximum sentence of 12.5 years. A manslaughter sentence can also include probation, jail time, restitution, and fines.
How Our Manslaughter Lawyers Can Help
Manslaughter cases are complicated because they often involve “reckless” acts, which can be hard to prove and require specialized experience to understand. Fortunately, the Phoenix criminal attorneys with the Lerner and Rowe Law Group have that specialized, technical experience.
The reckless behavior definition by statute:
… with respect to a result or to a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense, that a person is aware of and consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the result will occur or that the circumstance exists. The risk must be of such nature and degree that disregard of such risk constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person would observe in the situation. A person who creates such a risk but who is unaware of such risk solely by reason of voluntary intoxication also acts recklessly with respect to such risk. A.R.S. 13-105(10)(c).
In cases of vehicular manslaughter, we will investigate the accident using every available resource; which often includes consulting with an accident reconstruction expert to re-create the scene and challenge the findings of the prosecutor’s reconstruction expert. We will use this investigation as part of an effort to create a reasonable doubt about the idea that you caused the victim’s death through reckless conduct.
The best criminal defense lawyers are also skilled negotiators. In some cases, a plea bargain may be the best course of action. Our criminal defense attorneys pursue such a possibility with skill and determination. We will aggressively advocate on your behalf in and out of the courtroom.
So, if you want to speak to our criminal defense lawyers about your manslaughter charge, please contact the Lerner and Rowe Law Group today. We look forward to speaking with you and also answering your questions.